Monday, November 07, 2005

Diving Head First in to AJAX

I have dedicated the past few days to AJAX research. With a little help from Pragmatic AJAX, which did a nice job of demystifying Google Maps, I was able to create my own map application with no server-side code. It is still a work in progress, but it already has some nice features.

I also picked up Foundations of AJAX which compliments the first book nicely. This book covers tools for JavaScript that aren't all that familiar to server-side programmers. Tools like JSUnit, JDocs, and tools for debugging. This has led me to start a rewrite of the map code as an OO-JS library, and includes JSDoc tags.

So, in short, AJAX isn't something that will be here a year from now, it is something that is here now, and very usable. Apparently I missed it up to this point because I was more involved with Drools and Sprog. Time to wake up and smell the coffee.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.